Capturing beautiful and memorable newborn photographs at home requires careful planning and attention to detail. Here are some essentials for a successful lifestyle newborn photography session at home:
1. Communication with Parents:
- Discuss expectations and preferences with the parents before the session.
Make sure the parents have any items they want to include in the session ready. Often a sentimental item, treasured heirloom or just an outfit a specific family member gave to them that they want to use.
- Schedule the session during the baby's sleepiest time, typically in the morning or early afternoon.
- Allow enough time for feeding, diaper changes, and breaks as needed. I typically tell families the session will be 2-3 hours long.
3. Natural Light:
- Utilize natural light whenever possible. Position the baby near windows to achieve soft, flattering light.
- Turn off artificial lights that might cast unnatural colors.
Having a reliable flash or external light source that you know how to use often comes in handy at Lifestyle Newborn photoshoots as you never know if a cloud will block light or there just isn't enough natural light in the home.
4. Comfortable Temperature:
- Ensure the room is comfortably warm, as newborns are sensitive to temperature.
- Use swaddles and blankets to keep the baby cozy.
5. Props and Blankets:
- Have a variety of soft, neutral-colored blankets and wraps for swaddling.
- I am not a big prop person, but if there is a specific piece of furniture or item that means something to the family know how to safely incorporate it.
- Choose a clutter-free and aesthetically pleasing background. BUT do not make the family clean (they just had a newborn). Just move anything out of the shot that causes a distraction.
- Consider using the baby's nursery or the parents' bedroom for a personal touch. If there is a pretty sunroom or living room that gets lots of natural light use it!
7. Camera Equipment:
- Use a camera with a fast lens (wide aperture) to create a shallow depth of field.
- Ensure your camera settings are optimized for low light conditions.
8. Patience and Flexibility:
- Be patient and flexible, as newborns can be unpredictable.
- Take breaks when needed, and don't rush the process.
9. Posing Techniques:
- Focus on natural and comfortable poses that showcase the baby and the connection and love of the family.
- Capture candid moments and expressions.
10. Family Involvement:
- Encourage parents and siblings to participate in the session for meaningful family shots. Adding in pets is another way to make the session more meaningful for the family.
- Capture genuine interactions and emotions.
11. Safety First:
- Prioritize the safety of the newborn throughout the session.
- Avoid risky poses and always have someone (ideally a parent) nearby to assist.
12. Client Comfort:
- Make sure the parents feel comfortable and involved in the process.
- Address any concerns or questions they may have.
By focusing on these essentials, you can create a positive and enjoyable experience for both the newborn and their family, resulting in beautiful and cherished photographs.